Configuring an i5/OS and OS/400 proxy server
To use a proxy server, you must enable the proxy server on the Z and I Emulator for Web server.
One advantage of using a proxy server is that only one port is opened through the firewall when transferring files to an iSeries system.
All the data flows through the specified configured port. The default port is 3470. When a proxy server is not enabled, multiple ports are used.
To configure an i5/OS and OS/400 proxy server:
- Click Services in the Administration window.
- Select OS/400 Proxy Server.
- Click Yes to enable a proxy server.
- Enter a server port and a maximum number of connections.
- Click Apply.
- When SSL is enabled, server authentication is used for encrypting data between the client and the host for transferring files to an iSeries.
However, if you enable both SSL and a proxy server, encryption is done only from the proxy server (Z and I Emulator for Web server) to the host (iSeries): data is not encrypted on the client side (from the client to the proxy server).
- If you are trying to avoid opening any ports on the firewall by using the configuration servlet, you still must enable the configured proxy server port for 5250 file transfer and Database On-Demand.
- Transferring SAVF type of files is not supported with the proxy server enabled.